Optimising nagios

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 10 19:23:29 CET 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Jorgen Lundman wrote:

> I do not know if we have a particularly large setup of Nagios, but I believe I
> am starting to see effects of possibly having too many hosts and service checks.
> The next-check events seems to lag behind more and more, and entering into pages
> like "Status Summary" is very slow. (although, user responsiveness is not really
> so important to me as the monitoring is.) Re-submitting a check immediately can
> take 4-5 minutes before it takes effect.

I've looked over your configs and I think your hardware should be able to
handle this load with a bit of tuning.  I have a similar setup, although I
am using Distrubuted monitoring which helps cut down on the load
significantly.

One thing to reduce is your max check attempts for service checks.  This
will speed up your state changes.  I would set it to 5 instead of 10.

Also, try setting yoru check_host commands to check_dummy.  This will fix
the problem the other responder mentioned with a bunch of down hosts.

You mentioned that the check_mailq commands seem to be slow.  You could
pinpoint which checks are taking a long time by reducing the plugin
timeout.  Then, eliminate those plugins that are at the outer boundary and
then reset the timeout value.
Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com