Help sending e-mail notification when status is OK

Rimbert Rivera rrivera at comtex.com
Thu Dec 9 17:50:03 CET 2004

We've tuned our Nagios fairly well that we get very little false alerts
so we now sometimes go for 4 hours or more without any alerts.  Of
course, now we're paranoid that Nagios, e-mail or the Blackberry
Exchange Server (to forward e-mail to our Blackberries) may not be
working when we don't receive alerts for that long so I want to setup a
"heartbeat" every 2 hours to make sure our communication chain is in
operation.

I know I can setup a check that will result in a Critical status which
will send a Critical alert.  I was looking for a more graceful way.  I
would like to run check_nagios and be able to send its output via e-mail
whether the status is OK, warning, critical or unreachable, but even
check_dummy 0 would be fine.

How can I do this?  I've searched for heartbeat and I've only found
references to it regarding a distributed Nagios system which we don't
have.

- Rim

Rimbert Rivera
Manager, Information Technology
COMTEX News Network
rrivera at comtex.com
(703) 820-2000
Discover more about COMTEX at: http://www.comtex.com/
This e-mail is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this e-mail
by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender
immediately and delete the material from any computer.