Checking VPN status on remote machine

Dan Spray danslists at conpoint.com
Wed Dec 8 21:50:07 CET 2004

Hello, I have a client that has a VPN between themselves and another office.
I would like to monitor this VPN connection through Nagios as it is a
mission critical app.  My customer site has a Cisco PIX firewall with a
LAN-to-LAN VPN built and working.  I haven't been able to find a way to find
a way to monitor this through the PIX itself so I thought I would create a
static entry in the PIX to send all traffic on port 5666 to an internal
windows machine.  Then I would run the NRPE client on that server and use
the check_ping command to make sure that I can ping the remote end.  My
problem is that I have not been able to find a check_ping plugin for
windows.  Does anyone out there have such a thing or am I trying to make
more work on this than I need to?

Dan