SEC and Nagios for log monitoring

Brian Huffman bhuffman at incyte.com
Tue Dec 7 19:55:51 CET 2004

All,

    A while back I saw a lot of posts in reference to logfile
monitoring.  One of the approaches was to use syslog-ng and swatch or as
was also mentioned, SEC.  I opted for the SEC approach as it allows
piping to STDIN w/o having to jump through hoops.  My question is:  Are
people still using a script between SEC and Nagios to do further
filtering / munging or are you going directly from SEC into Nagios?  How
are you getting the data there?  Are you echoing into the nagios "cmd"
file or are you using something like NSCA client?

Thanks,

Brian