snmp - which mib?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Dec 7 15:12:24 CET 2004

Jan.van-Beers at grundy-le.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to set up several services using snmp to query routers and
> switches. Unfortunately I find snmpget non-trivial to use and would
> apreciate if anyone here could post/send some samples form a running
> config...

There are tons of snmp based plugins available already. I suggest you
check out www.nagiosexchange.org. It's sort of a bookmarks page where
you may find useful info.

To teach the finer points of SNMP is beyond the scope of this mailing
list, but if you do
snmpwalk -v 1 -c <community> <hostname> -On -m :
followed by
snmpwalk -v 1 -c <community> <hostname> -m ALL
and
snmpwalk -v 1 -c <community> <hostname> -On -m: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1
I think you'll get a better grasp of whatever turorial Google throws at you.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer