Notifications not reaching me

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at canada.com
Tue Dec 7 02:12:47 CET 2004

    A> You've got notification_interval 0, which means it will only
    A> send one notification. I'm surprised you get any at all for
    A> your escalations where first_notification is higher than 1.

Probably because that value was overridden and thanks

This use of notification_interval=0 was ambiguous in my reading of the
docs: I'd thought it would limit /notification/ to once _per_ _rule_,
such that there'd be one notice at the early-warning level, one at the
alarm threshold (I then had hourly once it escalated to SMS) -- I
didn't consider that it would also limit the retry-tests and
escalation.

So does this also mean that if the retry check-interval is 5 min but
the notification interval is 60, and the escalation is set to the 3rd
notification, that the notice will not escalate until the third hour?
(rather than 15 min)

Thanks -- this clears up a lot.

I had understood notification_interval as only a throttle on the
number of notification messages as in "will not send email/SMS any
more frequent than notification_interval minutes, but will continue to
check for status change every retry_check_interval minutes."  It just
seemed logical to me that we'd want to continue to poll the service at
the prescribed rate for retry tests but not send emails every 2
minutes.

So, then, is this correct? ...

1) if the service check fails, nagios will check on retry_check_interval
until it tests good or fails max_check

2) after all max_check tests _fail_ nagios will throw one notice, then
pause notification_interval before it checks again

3) if it still fails, the notification count is increased and it waits
notification_intervals between checks until the service comes back up.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym at teledyn.com> ==============================
www.teledyn.com - blog.teledyn.com - irish.teledyn.com - sbp.teledyn.com