NSCA Memory Leak

Edy Gasparini edy at egan.com.au
Mon Dec 6 23:53:13 CET 2004

Greetings,

I've got a redundant setup with Nagios 1.2 running on EL3. Things were
running fine, with the Master nagios sending its check results to the Slave
nagios, using NSCA, v2.4

Due to some unrelated events, I disabled the submission of service checks
from the Master to Slave. This in effect has resulted in the Slave simply
sitting there and doing nothing (apart from check that the Master was OK).
The NSCA daemon (nsca) is still running on the Slave - however, it is now
consuming memory until all physical memory is exhausted: about 1Gb RAM in
24hours!!!

This suggests that ncsa has a problem only when  check results are not being
sent (via send_nsca on the Master). As I said earlier, when the Master is
sending its results, there are no issues.

Anyone else seen this?

thanks and regards,
Edy Gasparini