nagios 1.0 / bind9 strange behaviour

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Sat Dec 4 11:31:45 CET 2004

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 11:17:16AM +0100, Gergely Tamas wrote:

> We use bind 9.2.4 as our name server and noticed following strange log
> message from nagios.
>
> Otherwise the name server seems to work fine. What could be the cause
> of this log entry?
>
> (Return code of 139 is out of bounds)

This sounds like an error is occurring in the plugin command you're
using to check the status of the DNS server.  Check the permissions
and all that stuff - most importantly, try running it as the Nagios
user.  This might be a segfault, but it might be something else.

Either way, try running the check as the Nagios user would, and see
what it does.