check_nrpe event handler early exit

Robert.Lattanzi at fitchratings.com Robert.Lattanzi at fitchratings.com
Wed Dec 1 17:47:09 CET 2004

Hello All-
I have an event handler that executes a Weblogic restart via nrpe on a
remote server. Nagios connects successfully (via check_nrpe) to the remote
nrpe daemon, the restart script starts to run,  but then exits without
completing successfully. It appears as if only the first command in the
restart script executes (an echo of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH) and then it exits.
If I change the first command in my restart script to "echo foo" it prints
foo and then exits. The restart script works successfully, every time, from
the command line. Any hints on this? I've seen similar behavior when trying
to restart Apache...if my restart script contains two lines (one doing a
stop and another doing a start) only the stop gets executed.
I've played with the -t option to check_nrpe, by it seems as if all this
does is specify how long check_nrpe will wait to connect to the remote nrpe
daemon, not how long the connections will stay open. I've also tried
backgrounding the restart. Thanks in advance, Robert

Robert Lattanzi
FitchRatings
212.908.0348

Confidentiality Notice:  The information in this e-mail and any attachment(s) is confidential and for the use of the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete this e-mail.  Unauthorized use, reliance, disclosure or copying of the contents of this e-mail, or any similar action, is prohibited.