check_snmp_disk.pl compilation

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Aug 30 11:45:42 CEST 2004

Mwaniki jack wrote:
> Agree with you totally. However the point I am trying
> to make is the documentation format.  While I can go
> out on the internet and get the answers, maybe a
> mandatory inclusion of 'HOW TO' section on all plugins
> may be very useful for beginner a well as the 'tired'.

Mandatory documentation on how to do the most basic of tasks? I daresay
you'd be welcome to write it if you like, but since most (all?) of those
who dabble frequently in various kinds of free operating systems feels
that this sort of knowledge is rudimentary and vital to have before
approaching the keyboard, noone has put in the effort to write it down.

For the basics then; Perl is a script language. If you have it
installed, and the perl binary is in your $PATH, you can simply type:
perl 'script-file'
and it will execute.
.C and .H files are C source-code and header files, respectively. To
create binaries you need a compiler (such as gcc) and probably a 'make'
program as well. There's usually a configure script involved. Try
running it with the --help option and it should give you some pointers.

If you feel questions such as 'How do I know if perl is in my $PATH (and
what is the $PATH)?' popping up, you have a LOT of reading to do before
it will be meaningful for any of us on this list to try to provide you
with further assistance.

Please note that all of us here on this list are doing this on our spare
time, and since it's not as much fun as playing pinball or (insert
favourite pastime here), most of us make a sort of low priority about
it. We simply don't have the time nor the energy to build a castle out
of pebbles, metaphorically speaking.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer