How to determine if Nagios install is (ePN) embedded Perl Nagios?

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu Aug 26 19:42:34 CEST 2004

Looks like this option works in Nagios 1.2, but I didn't see it documented anywhere:

/usr/local/nagios/etc: sudo ../bin/nagios -h

Nagios 1.2
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 02-02-2004
License: GPL

Usage: ../bin/nagios [option] <main_config_file>

  -v   Reads all data in the configuration files and performs a basic
       verification/sanity check.  Always make sure you verify your
       config data before (re)starting Nagios.

  -s   Shows projected/recommended service check scheduling information
       based on the current data in the configuration files.

  -c   When used in conjunction with the -s option, this option will cause
       the status data to be updated with scheduling information.  It is
       not recommended that you use this option while Nagios is running, as
       the information in the status log will be temporarily overwritten.
       Provided as an aid to help you understand initial check scheduling.

  -d   Starts Nagios in daemon mode (instead of as a foreground process).
       This is the recommended way of starting Nagios for normal operation.

Visit the Nagios website at http://www.nagios.org for information on known
bugs, new releases, online documentation, and information on subscribing to
the mailing lists.

/usr/local/nagios/etc: sudo ../bin/nagios -m nagios.cfg

Nagios 1.2
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 02-02-2004
License: GPL

External Data I/O
-----------------
Object Data:      TEMPLATE
Status Data:      DEFAULT
Retention Data:   DEFAULT
Comment Data:     DEFAULT
Downtime Data:    DEFAULT
Performance Data: FILE

-------
* Embedded Perl compiler (With caching)

nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Hicks, Matthew wrote:
>

>>> I'm in the process of picking up support for an existing Nagios
>>> install = and I'm new to it. So this might be a naïve question, but
>>> is there an = easy way to determine whether Nagios was built as ePN
>>> or not?  Is ePN = even a factor or am I dealing with documentation
>>> artifacts?  Nagios -V = or -v was unrevealing.
>
>> # nagios -m
>>
>> Nagios 1.2
>> Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org) Last
>> Modified: 02-02-2004 License: GPL
>
> ...snip...

>> -------
>> * Embedded Perl compiler (No caching)
>

> Hmmm... Unfortunate result from my attempt (I did try --help
> to see the options and was surprised you suggested -m, since
> I didn't see it listed before ;)
>
> # nagios -m
> nagios: invalid option -- m
>
> Nagios 2.0a1
> Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
> Last Modified: 11-18-2003
> License: GPL
>
> Usage: ./nagios [option] <main_config_file>

>   -v   Reads all data in the configuration files and performs a basic
>        verification/sanity check.  Always make sure you verify your
>        config data before (re)starting Nagios.
>
>   -s   Shows projected/recommended check scheduling information based
>        on the current data in the configuration files.
>
>   -d   Starts Nagios in daemon mode (instead of as a
> foreground process).
>        This is the recommended way of starting Nagios for
> normal operation.
>
> Visit the Nagios website at http://www.nagios.org for bug fixes, new
> releases, online documentation, FAQs, information on subscribing to
> the mailing lists, and commercial and contract support for Nagios.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)