Create Groups within Groups

Mark Duling Mark.Duling at biola.edu
Wed Aug 25 17:57:47 CEST 2004

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm currently monitoring so many devices that the summary pages look a
>bit
>> messy.
>>
>> Is it possible to create another level of groups to allow me to get a
>> summary page of customers and what sites are being monitored and the
>overall
>> status of devices on that site indicate either green or red?
>

>As of today (Nagios 1.x,  2.x) there is no such feature. It would be
>nice if it could be implemented (perhaps as 'master_group' directive in
>host/service-groups?), and I'm sure that if you supply a patch it would
>be incorporated in the main branch.

To group stuff visually in the Nagios interface, you can use Chet Luther's
nagside add-on.  It puts domains in the Nagios sidebar which organize your
hostgroups for visual display purposes.  If I understood you correctly
that would work.  There is a readme in the tarball that tells you how to
use it.  I use it even though I have few hosts because I just can't stand
an unorganized host list.

http://chet.crashed.net/nagside-current.tar.gz