HOST DOWN notification not getting resent

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Aug 25 10:47:37 CEST 2004

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Monday, August 23, 2004 6:44 PM -0500 "C. Bensend"
> <benny at bennyvision.com> wrote:
>

>>> define service {
>>>     name                    ldap-qother-template
>>>     max_check_attempts      3
>>>     normal_check_interval   2
>>>     retry_check_interval    2
>>>     check_period            24x7
>>>     notification_interval   3
>>>     notification_options    w,u,c,r
>>>     notification_period     businesshours
>>>     contact_groups          ldap-qapp-admins
>>>     register                0
>>> }

Ok. To the bottom of this then.
1. Services will have nothing to do with it (except for failing, but you
knew that already), so cut the line-noise.
2. Is the host down or unreachable?
3. Are you positive the host hasn't gone to flapping state? Nagios 1.x
doesn't notify for this. Nagios 2.0 has an option to do so.
4. You're sure you haven't set notification_interval to 0 in the host
object definition (or anywhere else, for that matter)?
5. You're sure nothing is wrong with the way notifications are sent?
6. Have you tried running Nagios as a foreground process while producing
errors like this in the configuration?
7. Have you tried increasing the notification interval? I'm not sure
what happens if Nagios 'misses' a scheduled notification, but it might
just happily skip it and move on.
8. What's the normal load on the machine you're running Nagios at?
9. Are you using the default notification commands, or have you written
your own ones? If so, do they adhere to the NOTIFICATIONNUMBER macro?
10. Do you have a spamfilter in place? If so, remove it.
11. Add an extra nofification command that looks like so;
define command{
command_name notification_stamp
command_line date "+%Y:%m:%d %H:%M:%S" >>
/home/quanah/Notifications.Timestamp
}
(mind the new-line) and make this the notification of choice for a
lab-host you're trying. Watch the file grow if the host is down.
12. If all of the above fails, try it again.
13. If you're still out of luck then set up the simplest possible
configuration (one host that you can bring up and down at wish), and
make sure several notifications go out before you move to more advanced
configuration. Make a host-template that you KNOW works with this, and
use it for all hosts you want to resend notifications with.
14. Use the default nagios.cfg-file, just to be on the safe side.
15. If problems persist, debug your mail-spooler.
16. If problems still persist, debug any relayhosts the mail passes through.
17. If the problems still persist, buy 3 hours of support from someone,
and send them your configuration in a gzipped tarball.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer