SNMP OIDs for CPU,MEM,DISK monitoring

Olaf Hoyer ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Wed Aug 25 09:11:44 CEST 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Naman Latif wrote:

> Hi,
> Does someone know the OIDs for CPU,Mem,Disk monitoring on Windows  2000
> and 2003 servers ?

What SNMP package do you have running on the 2000/2003 Server?

The stock one supplied by MS, or something like SNMP Informant or HP
Insight Manager?

2000/2003 do not support out-of-the-box Monitoring via SNMP of those
parameters, the support from the perfmib.dll that was available under
NT4 has been cancelled. Rumours go that you could use that dll under
Win2000, but not under 2003, as the structure has changed.

Some weeks ago I did open a case with Microsoft, and got the following
answers:

1) Use MOM; its been designed for that and officially supported.
2) Use WMI

for doing 2), I asked them for some tutorial/documentation/reference
implementation how to export WMI->SNMP, as been talked about in MSDN,
but as far as today I got no sufficient answer from MS.

So, I ended up installing on some Servers the SNMP package from wtcs
(SNMP Informant) which works fine.
This is needed on standard PC Servers, Vendors like HP etc. usually have
their own SNMP agents with own OID range.

HTH
Olaf
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer at gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)