NRPE Completely stumped

John Acar jacar at johnshouse.org
Wed Aug 25 01:07:50 CEST 2004

Hi Andreas,

If you do not specify a disk to check, it will check all available disks.
The problem was a rights issue with check_disk on the remote box.

chmod 755 check_disk fixed it.  All is well.

John

Andreas Ericsson said:
> John Acar wrote:
> [...]
>> command[check_disk1]=/usr/sbin/check_disk -w 20% -c 10%
>>

> You haven't specified a disk to check. If you run this exact command
> from the monitored host, you'd get a message (to stderr) saying you need
> to specify a disk to check.
>
>> *Doing things manually from the nagios server
>> Issuing...
>> %./check_nrpe -H somesystem -c check_disk1
>> Yeilds...
>> NRPE: Unable to read output
>>

> Which is correct, since there is no output on stdout.
>
> [...]
>>
>> Thanks for the help and let me know what else you need...
>>

> You're welcome. Next time you run into an issue, try running the command
> manually in the context its actually being run (i.e. on the remote
> host). This would have told you immediately what was wrong, and will
> keep you from tearing your hair in the future.
>
>> John
>>

> --
> Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
> OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
> Lead Developer

> reporting any issue.

Cheers!

John

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will
be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"