NRPE Completely stumped

John Acar jacar at johnshouse.org
Tue Aug 24 21:02:19 CEST 2004

Hi Jason,

Here is the NRPE related configs...

*checkcommands.cfg

define command{
        command_name    check_nrpe_disk
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c check_disk1
        }

*services.cfg

define service  {
        host_name                       somesystem
        service_description             DISK
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  somegroup
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   check_nrpe_disk
}

*nrpe.cfg
server_port=5666
nrpe_user=nagios
nrpe_group=nagios
dont_blame_nrpe=0
debug=1
command_timeout=60
command[check_disk1]=/usr/sbin/check_disk -w 20% -c 10%

*Doing things manually from the nagios server
Issuing...
%./check_nrpe -H somesystem -c check_disk1
Yeilds...
NRPE: Unable to read output

Changing the disk to one that does not exist...
%./check_nrpe -H somesystem -c check_disk2
Yeilds...
NRPE: Command 'check_disk2' not defined

This tells me that the daemon is up and running and that information is
flowing back and forth.

The the daemon does start up and is listening on 5666...
%netstat -na | grep 5666
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5666            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 192.168.161.2:5666      192.168.161.221:59929  TIME_WAIT

and ps -ef | grep nrpe
nagios   26845     1  0 14:51 ?        00:00:00 nrpe -c /etc/nrpe.cfg -d

Thanks for the help and let me know what else you need...

John

Jason Martin said:
> Please include the exact NRPE configuration relating to this
> check, command definition and the service definition.
> Also, verify that the plugin exists on your remote system.
>
> -Jason Martin
>
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 12:19:19PM -0400, John Acar wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to run disk_checks on remote systems using nrpe.  I believe
>> that the nrpe daemon is configured ok and, of course, nagios is running
>> just fine.  This is all running on Red Hat 9 systems.  However, when the
>> check is run, either manually or through nagios, I get return code 3:
>> Unable to read output.
> --
> Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle buttons
> This message is PGP/MIME signed.

Cheers!

John

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will
be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"