monitoring router-interfaces

Alexander Schaefer samogonka at gmx.net
Tue Aug 24 18:20:46 CEST 2004

Hello!

I have to monitor a middle-large corporate network. To simplify my situation following network should be monitored:
- There is LAN1 and LAN2 redudantly (leased line failovered by dial-up) connected by WAN-Routers R-LAN1 and R-LAN2 on each LAN-side.

- My Nagios-Server is in LAN1 and i use check_ping plugin for connection checking

On the router R-LAN2 i check it's LAN-interface (R-LAN2-ETH). If the leased line on interface R-LAN2-WAN1 goes down, i wil not be notified, because the failover dial-up is automaticly activated in the shortest time...

If i check the main WAN-interface R-LAN2-WAN1 then if it goes down i will be alarmed like for "network outage" and all notifications for the hosts, for which my R-LAN2 is parent will be disabled although the connections through the backup inteface is available...

Question: it is possible to minitor the failover interfaces with nagios? Does any body do it?

Thanks for all your suggestions

Alexander Schaefer