(no subject)

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Aug 24 04:22:27 CEST 2004

>Can I use the NSCA program to schedule downtime from a remote
>host?  What I want to do is put something in /etc/rc.shutdown
>on systems to send a notification of downtime of 10 minutes.

This is a good idea -- mind if I steal it?

I see no reason why you could not do something similar to this, however I
don't think you could do it using NSCA unless you cheat a bit.

You need to drop off a command in the rw file to schedule a 10 min downtime
starting immediately.  NSCA doesn't do this -- it just takes a service
status.  So, you either need to write a separate program/daemon to remotely
drop this line into the Nagios command pipe, or else do it differently.

Why not create a separate service called Downtime.  This should be
check_period never, one event until hard alert, and accept passive.  It also
would have an event_handler that would drop the downtime schedule into the
Nagios command pipe.  Then, you could use send_nsca to send a 'Warning' to
this service (warning that downtime is scheduled) which would trigger the
event handler to schedule downtime.  On bootup, you would send an 'OK' to it
via send_nsca.  As a result, you could see immeditely if it was a true crash
('Downtime' service says OK) or a shutdown that didn't reboot in time
('Downtime' says 'Warning').

Maybe, though, this is a bit too complex.

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **