Question to check_command on hosts

Sand Philipp Philipp.Sand at sycor.de
Mon Aug 23 13:40:14 CEST 2004

[...snip]

> >> Is it a bug, or a feature, that, by default the check_command isn't
executed
> >>when there is no service check applied to the host?
> > It's a feature - Nagios is service-centric, not host-centric.  The
> > host check command is only used when a service check fails to
> > determine if the failure is because the service is broken
> or because
> > the entire host is down.
Ok, that makes sense.

> In Nagios 2.x you can force nagios to run host checks.
Ok, just saw this feature and the warning combined with it :)

> Nagios 2.0a1 is stable enough for us to start shipping to
> customers in about a months time (it's been up and running
> well over two months now at various locations and
> configurations), although we had to quirk it a bit to get it
> to build properly the way we wanted it to.
Agreed, 2.0a1 runs here quite stable since about 2Months.

> > If you don't need to check any services on a host, just add a Ping
> > service or something like that.
> This is a good idea even if you choose to force host checks
> with Nagios 2.0. Host checks serialised, while service checks
> are run in parallell (how many l's should there be?).
Had done it like this so far, but wondered why I should do the same
check twice per host, because my check_host-alive is a simple ping,
too...

Now I ran into another Problem:
I keep getting a notification from a Host, the first time, the
check-host-alive gets critical, although I defined the max_check_attemps
with 4.

Here's me config:
define host{
        name                            template-wan
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Host notifications are
enabled
        event_handler_enabled           0       ; Host event handler is
enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is
enabled
        process_perf_data               0       ; Process performance
data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status
information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
        checks_enabled                  1       ; enable checks on Host
        check_command                   check-host-alive
        contact_groups                  network-group
        max_check_attempts              4
        notification_interval           0
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            d,r   ; d = down , u =
unreachable , r = recovered

        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

When the Host goes down, I immediately get a notification, Status is
Critical, the Current Attempt is 1/4 State Type is HARD, and the Last
State Change and Last Host Notification are at the same time???
Shouldn't the notification when it s Attempt 4/4??
Another thing, I don't understand, is the thing, that the service check
is performed although the host is down, wouldn't it be better there, to
leave the servicecheck alone when the hostcheck returns a critical?

Regards,
Philipp

sycor plastics - die neue Branchenlösung für die Kunststoffindustrie

www.sycor-plastics.de

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich und kann darüber hinaus persönliche Informationen beinhalten. Wenn Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sind, löschen Sie bitte die E-Mail und deren Anhänge sofort und benachrichtigen Sie uns darüber. Die Firma sycor willigt in keine Verträge oder vertragliche Verpflichtungen ein oder übermittelt rechtsverbindliche Angebote, die in Form von E-Mail versandt werden, sofern dies nicht ausdrücklich in schriftlicher Form zwischen den Parteien vereinbart wurde.

This e-mail is confidential and may contain personal and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please delete this e-mail and all attachments immediately and inform us. The company sycor does not agree with contracts or contract obligations sent by e-mail, neither do we transmit legally binding offers by e-mail, unless this is not expressly agreed upon between the parties and documented in written form.