nagiosgraph do not work

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Fri Aug 20 20:38:57 CEST 2004

nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is anyone use nagiosgraph or nagiostat with nagios?
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nagiosgraph/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nagiostat/
>
> I have install both programs but both don't work. I use
> debian woody and
> the newest stable nagios version. rrdtools are also installed.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>      Guenther

I use PerfParse to handle my performance data graphing (http://perfparse.sf.net), so I don't know too much about Nagiostat. However, after taking a peek at the README for Nagiostat, I found this:

[snip]
5. Set up nagios to enable performance-data handling and that it should send the perfdata
to nagiostat.
In nagios.cfg, set the parameter 'process_performance_data=1'. This enables processing of
performance data.
Then add the parameter 'service_perfdata_command=service-perf-data-handler' also to nagios.cfg. This
tells nagios to run the "service-perf-data-handler" command to process the performance data after
each plugin has been executed.
Then add the following to the checkcommands.cfg-file (or whatever nagios-config-file you find suitable):
---
[snip]

Did you follow these directions? If not, you will need to do so in order to enable Performance Data processing by Nagios. Another thing that I did not see in the Nagiostat README, although it may be in there somewhere, is the fact that if you did not originally compile Nagios with perfdata enabled, you will need to do so now. The HOW-TO on the PerfParse web site goes into further detail about this, as well as linking back to the appropriate Nagios docs on the subject, which can be found at http://www.nagios.org.

Details on recompiling Nagios to support perfdata may indeed be in the Nagiostat docs, although I did not see them upon first glance. I have not even looked at Nagiosgraph yet, but I'm guessing that if neither of these add-ons are working for you, then you probably have not yet recompiled Nagios with the necessary perfdata arguments.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)