performance

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Fri Aug 20 15:40:45 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 00:37, Kelvin Wu wrote:
> hello,
>
> is anyone here using nagios to monitor thounds of services? how is the
> performance?
>
> my nagios server(4cpu, 3gb ram) is monitoring 30 hosts, 2000 services
> now(there will be 60 hosts, 10000 services totally), most of services
> are check_filesize and process via snmp, and do logrotate/restart
> process via ssh,

There could be some extra load with the setup/tear down of ssh
connections, but I figure the logrotate's don't happen that often.

> i am not happy with the current performance, cpu
> usage is always around 8~10, i am wondering if i add all services into
> nagios, will nagios server crash or very bad performance or something?

Is that 8-10 your load average, or % cpu utilization?  If the latter, it
doesn't sound that bad.  One thing to also consider is that hitting the
webserver a lot can drive up your load.  Especially since every CGI has
to parse/load your entire configuration plus the status of all your
services.  With as many services as you have, I imagine that can be
quite a hit.