Different contact groups for the same host group

davidj at impol.net davidj at impol.net
Fri Aug 20 09:18:00 CEST 2004

Hi Garry,

Thanks a lot, it seems defining the contact_group in services.cfg
overrides this.

Kind regards,

David Jacobson
Network Security Administrator

"Cook, Garry" <GWCOOK at mactec.com>
Sent by: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
2004/08/19 04:44 PM

<davidj at impol.net>, <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
cc

Subject
RE: [Nagios-users] Different contact groups for the same host group

davidj at impol.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologise if this has been asked before, however after searching
> the mailing list reading the docs, I have found nothing.
>
> hostgroup example:
>
> # 'linux-servers' host group definition
> define hostgroup{
>         hostgroup_name  linux-servers
>         alias           Linux Servers
>         contact_groups  Piet,Reno,Jacquesb
>         members         Firewall1,Firewall2
>         }
>
> Now the above is fine, however I need to add another Linux box with
> different contacts... now the only way I can see to do that
> is to create another hostgroup, which I do not really want to do as I
> would like all Linux servers to be under the Linux Servers
> hostgroup...

IIRC, what you've shown us above could be considered the 'default'
configuration for hosts in the 'linux-servers' hostgroup. Therefore, if
you create a more specific host definition, with the alternative
contacts listed, it should override your default above.
Consult the docs again and/or spend a few minutes testing this theory.
I'm fairly sure that this is how the template configuration system
works.

> Any help appreciated :)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> David Jacobson
> Network Security Administrator

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)

reporting any issue.