Question regarding Dependencies

Dale Hobbs dhobbs at chancery.com
Thu Aug 19 18:14:06 CEST 2004

For give me if this question has been asked before. I have read the docs
in regards to dependencies but am still a bit unclear as to the internal
workings.

If I have 3 servers (www1, www2, www3) on the outside of my firewall
with the following dependencies set up for each of the 3 servers:

define hostdependency{

        host_name                       www1

        dependent_host_name        firewall

        notification_failure_criteria   d,u

        }

If my firewall goes down, obviously it will notify me that the firewall
is down but will it also notify me that it can't contact each of the 3
servers as well? Also if one of the servers goes down is Nagios smart
enough to check the firewall first to make sure that it is still
available before notifying me that the server is down in case that it
can't contact the server because the firewall is down?

Dale Hobbs
End User Support
Chancery Software -- The Right Partner. The Right Solution.
Tel: 604-294-1233 Ext.4744
Fax: 604-294-2225
Email: dhobbs at chancery.com
http://www.chancery.com <http://www.chancery.com/>

This electronic email transmission contains confidential information
intended only for the named person(s). Any use, distribution, copying or
disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you received
this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately so that
we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original
message. Thank You.