Biggest Problem with Nagios: Poor Setup/Installation

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Thu Aug 19 01:35:51 CEST 2004

Mark Duling writes:

> Good documentation takes into account *the reader*.  It is clear that some
> on this list don't think that if a certain number, or even a certain type,
> of person has trouble with the documentation that this tells us anything
> meaningful.

Number 1 goal: the software should be so good that neither the installers
nor the users NEED any additional documentation.

Number 2 goal: if you can't meet the number 1 goal then the install
documentation and the on-line documentation for users should mean nobody
has any questions that are not met by those.  This is IMPORTANT.  The more
answers that people can find with little effort then the fewer questions
asked here and the more time that can be spent improving NAGIOS.  This is
a feedback situation.  If the documentation is poor you spend all your time
answering questions rather than improving the product and/or documentation.

Number 3 goal: if you can't meet the first two goals, at least TRY to.

There is a reason my sig claims that I am a support bod when I'm actually
an admin.  It's because most of my time is spent answering questions that
result either from deficiencies in our own documentation or because of
customers who are too stupid to own computers and because our third-line
guys don't have any decent documentation that would let them deal with
things directly.

Disclaimer: I'm catching up on a massive backlog of mail after a long
period of hardware failures and customer stupidity - I'm in a rather
cynical mood.  Oh, and Tony [surname omitted], we will no longer be
buying the garbage you sell us as "quality computer equipment." :)

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support