check_ifoperstatus followup

Travis Dangel Travis.Dangel at sdncommunications.com
Wed Aug 18 23:56:40 CEST 2004

Ok so after playing around with it everything appears to be working from the command line. I have a catalyst 3550 switch here that I'm using for testing purposes with active connections on ports 1 and 5. After storing a couple variables and running the following commands from the command line, everything appears to work ok:

check_ifoperstatus -H $HOSTADDR -C $COMMUNITY -d FastEthernet0/5
         returns:
OK: Interface FastEthernet0/5 (index 5) is up.

and...

./check_ifoperstatus -H $HOSTADDR -C $COMMUNITY -d FastEthernet0/7
       returns:
CRITICAL: Interface FastEthernet0/7 (index 7) is down.

So... all appears to work fine from the command line. So I have created a check command for this as follows:

#############

# 'check_port_status' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_port_status
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ifoperstatus -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C $USER5$ -d $ARG1$
        }

where $USER5$ contains the snmp community. I then created a service for the switch's IP which calls the command like so:

        service_description             Port:FA0/5
        check_command                check_port_status!FastEthernet0/5

and restarted nagios... the host comes up with OK status even if port 5 is unplugged. If I disconnect the switch from the network all together then it shows status CRITICAL and fails. Anyone have any ideas here? I've tried changing a few different things around here and there but havent really gotten any results. I have to be missing something stupid here. Any input would be greatly appreciated.