Customizing Side Menu Page

Chet Luther chet at crashed.net
Wed Aug 18 18:13:55 CEST 2004

> Hi All,
> I remember there was a posting some time back regarding "customizing
> side menus"(i.e. side.html). I can't seem to find it in the archives.
>
> E.g. Clicking on "Status Overview" will open a "Sub-menu List" with
> different "Host Groups" listed etc, which makes it easier to browse.
>
> Can someone help\guide me in that direction ?
>
> Thanks \\ Naman

Naman, Group,

If anyone is interested in another customized side.html option, I have one
that works quite well for me.  It's tailored more to a large installation
where hostgroups could be further grouped into domains.  Instead of
explaining it, I'll just paste the README in here:

Notes:

      My company's installation of Nagios monitors over 500 hosts and 2500
   services.  As anyone with a large Nagios deployment knows, it becomes a
   chore to try and locate a specific hostgroup or host in the web
interface.

      I created this replacement for the side frame to display hostgroups in
   pleasing fashion, and incorporated a simple search box if you know the
   host's name.

      I also created a script that allows users to toggle themselves between
   authorized_for_all_(services|hosts).  This allows all users to see
blocking
   outages when they want to, but keeps their display from being cluttered
   when they don't.

Installation:

   Assuming your Nagios is installed in /usr/local/nagios:

      1) Open side.pl in you favorite editor to configure it.
      2) Copy side.pl to /usr/local/nagios/sbin.
      3) Copy side.html & index.html to /usr/local/nagios/share.
      4) Copy *.gif to /usr/local/nagios/share/images.
      5) If your Nagios is installed somewhere other than /usr/local/nagios.
         *) Open toggle.pl and update the path on line 27.
      6) Copy toggle.pl to /usr/local/nagios/sbin.

A screenshot is available at http://chet.crashed.net/nagside.jpg.
The package is at http://chet.crashed.net/nagside-1.0.tar.gz.

Chet Luther
chet at crashed.net