Some advanced reporting

Matthias Eichler me-lists at kernzeit.com
Wed Aug 18 17:06:54 CEST 2004

> [...]
> I was wondering if someone has found a way to do this better than
> parsing the logs.

I hope I understand you the right way...for extended and automatical
reporting we used a mix of database performance data and the apan addon.

All performance data or better all nagios plugin outputs is logged into
a database with our own table layout. From these data mining storage
different individual reports can be created.
Maybe it is also possible to take products like Crytal report or so
on for report generation out of the database.
When possible we use the addon Apan for storing performance data
(e.g. used diskspace, ping rtt, etc.) into a RDD database, because
the grafical reports can be nicely implemented into the nagios front-
end.
If you want to monitor the uptime of cluster services you can check
with host or service dependencie and log this result for your report.

To email these reports we just run scripts that do some HTTP get with
all options included in the GET command, then re-assembling the HTTP
output for mail delivery.

Matthias