Web interface authentication

Jamie Roughan jamie.roughan at mizuho-sc.com
Wed Aug 18 06:51:26 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 16:48 +0900, Jamie Roughan wrote:
> I am nearing completion of a nagios install and am not yet
successful...with authentication

Although I have set up authentication accoding to
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/cgiauth.html
Specifically with  ... htpasswd -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
nagiosadmin

I am prompted for a login and password, but Authentication is not working.

In the meanwhile I am looking for an answer in the Apache docs --->as
advised by the nagios docs

...Okay, so you're done with the first part of what needs to be done. If you
point your web browser to your Nagios CGIs you should be asked for a
username and password. ( yes, this works)

If you have problems getting user authentication to work at this point, read
your webserver documentation for more info.

Additionally, I have set up /etc/htpasswd.users & .htaccess is in the /sbin
& /share directories.

Here is a copy of the relevant part of the apache config:

####################
#
# beginning of nagios section
#
######################
DocumentRoot "/usr/local/nagios/share"
#DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

# this is the Nagios script for cgi
ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin/ /usr/local/nagios/sbin/
<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/sbin/">
AllowOverride AuthConfig
Options ExecCGI
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

---fin

# thanks Tom for the pointer to  http://demo.square-box.com/httpd.htm
Once I added this line    DocumentRoot "/usr/local/nagios/share"

I was in better shape.