Biggest Problem with Nagios: Poor Setup/Installation

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Mon Aug 16 23:50:05 CEST 2004

> anyway - the point is that it should be fairly obvious
> that some people do find defficiencies in the
> documentation - as some people need things spelled out
> in a non-technical description more than others, and I
> hope to alleviate that to as much a degree as I can -
> as opposed to making attacks with no value-add on the
> list...

Hi Sam,

   I'm curious to know what your background is, ie, your technical
proficiency.  This is absolutely an honest question, and I'm not at all
intending to attack or demean you.  I'm curious - are you familiar with
*NIX and open source, or are you just getting into it?

   The questions and problems you've mentioned seem suggest that you're
not familiar with compiling code, using config files, etc.  For example,
the config files - at the end of the 'make' step of installation, it
very pointedly tells you to 'make install-config' to create a set of
example config files (the DESTDIR and CFGDIR are automagically substituted
with your actual values):

make install-config
   - This installs *SAMPLE* config files in $(DESTDIR)$(CFGDIR)
     You'll have to modify these sample files before you can
     use Nagios.  Read the HTML documentation for more info
     on doing this.  Pay particular attention to the docs on
     object configuration files, as they determine what/how
     things get monitored!

   To me, this seems very clear.  Does it to you?  It might not, if
you're simply not used to software on a *NIX system.

   This is all for my curiousity.  Nagios is a technical system, intended
for technical people, to do technical things.  I think very technically,
and I don't see many issues with the documents.  This might be
considerably different for others.  And it might indeed be difficult for
someone that isn't used to thinking technically.

Benny

--
"Horrible pain!  I made sounds like a dolphin giving birth."
                                                  -- Mr. Corman, "Scrubs"