Biggest Problem with Nagios: Poor Setup/Installation

Atwal, Steve steve.atwal at ubc.ca
Mon Aug 16 20:09:05 CEST 2004

I'd like to use Nagios, but after wasting over a month, finally gave up. Setup instructions are very poor, and we ended up using Big Brother instead. I'd still like to use Nagios, but the following problems will stop people in their tracks when it comes
to using it:

- poor setup/installation, for both the server and clients to be monitored
- poor documentation for admins, esp. related to above point
- no easy configuration tool, e.g. one solution: create a good Webmin plug-in (someone else tried to do this, but it doesn't work)

If the developers of Nagios can work on the above and get that polished, they will have a very good tool that a lot more people will be using. Until then....we'll leave it to those that have lots and lots of time to waste.

Not being negative...just providing some feedback that might improve the product.

Cheers
Steve