Why not make service depend upon host?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Aug 16 17:22:37 CEST 2004

----Original Message----
From: leoh at dcc.ufmg.br [mailto:leoh at dcc.ufmg.br]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 9:58 AM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Why not make service depend upon host?

> Hi Sirs,
>
> I think that it's a good idea to let services checks depend on host
> checks.
>
> In Nagios, hosts depends on hosts (just for notification failures)
> and services checks depends on services checks (notifications and
> executions failures).
>
> If I want to tell nagios to check a service just if the host is up, I
> have to define a PING service. Doing that I can depend on PING. But
> it's redundant! Host checks should be enought to tell me that the
> host is up.

Nagios already does this and doesn't require a PING service for every
host. If _any_ service on a host fails the host is checked using it
check_command in it's host definition. Nagios will continue to do
service checks but will not notify you of failures until the host
recovers. The concept that I think is confusing you is that Nagios is a
service-centric monitor, not host-centric. _Hosts are never checked
until a service failure_ and then only to determine if just the service
has failed or the entire host. Because of this service-centric view of
the world, you must have at least on service defined for every host. For
those hosts like routers that don't really provide any external
services, a good generic service check to use to meet the minimum
requirement of 1 service per host is a check_ping.