[PMX:#] Check services for site(s) hosted on multiple servers

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Mon Aug 16 09:18:56 CEST 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 03:28:17PM +1000, Collins, Steve wrote:

> We have a situation where a number of web sites are hosted across
> several servers (mirror copies).  A load balancer hands off to one of
> the servers based on present load per server.  What we want to do is
> check the HTTP and ColdFusion health on each of the servers for each
> of the sites.  We have services set up that can check the services on
> an individual box, but not across boxes, as our hosts.cfg file is
> unhappy about us naming more than one service the same.

Nagios will only complain if you try to put the same service name
more than once on the same host, so you should be able to just put all
the individual web servers into a hostgroup and then apply each site's
service checks to that hostgroup. (Using a hostgroup for this is
optional, but pretty.)

Just make sure each site has a different name for its service
checks, and you should be fine. e.g. "HTTP Site1", "HTTP Site2",
"CF Site1", "CF Site2", etc. I usually use the domain name (or a subset
thereof) as the service name for checking websites.