Nagios and SQL -- bad combination?

Dan Hopkins dan.hopkins at uk.easynet.net
Fri Aug 13 18:15:11 CEST 2004

<snip>

We had the same problem with PgSQL. I believe it's more to do with the way postgres handles updates/deletes than with nagios. Deletions aren't removed from tables until you perform a full vacuum, so until then the table will continue to grow each time a change is made, eventually leaving you with massive chains in the table structure. Since a full vacuum needs an exclusive lock, this means nagios downtime - which isn't particularily useful for a monitoring system...

We spent a few days wrestling with this (even vacuums every minute or two weren't enough to solve the problem) and after 24 hours or so, everything would grind to a halt. So eventually we switched to MySQL which runs perfectly (mind you, we are logging ALL service alerts to db, so it remains to be seen how well MySQL will cope with millions of rows ... not as well as Pg I assume)

FYI our experience was based on Pg 7.3 (things may have changed with recent releases?) We were running the DB on a 3Gig xeon with hyperthreading, 2Gig RAM and some fast disks. Monitoring around 2500 services across 2000 hosts.

Please let us know if you do have any success with it

Kind Regards,
--
Dan Hopkins