NSClient and Echange Servewr

Sand Philipp Philipp.Sand at sycor.de
Fri Aug 13 08:12:35 CEST 2004

> I found a post saying that Exchange servers "hog all ports"?
>
> I have tried a plethora of ports and nothing seem to work, I
> just get "connection refused". But it appears to be NSClient
> that listens to that port (since if I stop the service,
> whatever port I have put it on (e.g.
> 1248, 1996, 19916, 42145) no longer appears in "netstat -a".
> Server is a Windows Small Business Server 2000 running
> Exchange and SQL 2000.
>
> Any hints here?
Exchange Server hogs ports only when it needs them. So when you have an
exchange which isn't very busy, I may happen, that exchange never graps
the NSClient Port. Though when you reboot the Server, the possibility
that NSClient gets its default port is very high, because the exchange
server hasn't openend so much client connections.
When the exchange Server recongnizes, that a port is in use by another
application, it won't simply grap it (even M$ isn't so hardcore stealing
used ports *g*)

To your problem with that ports...try that: logon to your Server the
NSClient Service is running and do a telnet on the NSClient Port, and
see if that works. Maybe you can say NSClient to use a password, then
you'll get a message wrong password when NSClient is working correctly.
When this works, connect to your Nagios Server and try to connect to the
Server with NSClient via telnet on the NSClient Port. When you get a
connection refused, you simply got a firewall between :-)

> Eventlog is normal
>
> Event Type:	Information
> Event Source:	NSClient
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	1
> Date:		2004-08-13
> Time:		01:02:07
> User:		N/A
> Computer:	SBS-1
> NSClient 1.0.7.1 has started. Language code : 0x0409. DebugLevel: 0

Maybe you should upgrade your NSClient. Version 2.01 is the latest.

sycor plastics - die neue Branchenlösung für die Kunststoffindustrie

www.sycor-plastics.de

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich und kann darüber hinaus persönliche Informationen beinhalten. Wenn Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sind, löschen Sie bitte die E-Mail und deren Anhänge sofort und benachrichtigen Sie uns darüber. Die Firma sycor willigt in keine Verträge oder vertragliche Verpflichtungen ein oder übermittelt rechtsverbindliche Angebote, die in Form von E-Mail versandt werden, sofern dies nicht ausdrücklich in schriftlicher Form zwischen den Parteien vereinbart wurde.

This e-mail is confidential and may contain personal and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please delete this e-mail and all attachments immediately and inform us. The company sycor does not agree with contracts or contract obligations sent by e-mail, neither do we transmit legally binding offers by e-mail, unless this is not expressly agreed upon between the parties and documented in written form.