Contact_groups

Mark Duling Mark.Duling at biola.edu
Thu Aug 12 07:32:42 CEST 2004

I am new to Nagios and I don't understand why there must be a
contact_groups definition in hostgroups as well as services.  I really
want to monitor based solely on the services running on my hosts.  Http,
ftp, smtp, service on port xx, etc.  Given this, it seems to me that I
could use hostgroup_name instead of host_name in my service definitions
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/templatetricks.html) like this:

define service{
	hostgroup_name http-servers-dept22
	service_description HTTP
	contact_groups dept22
	other service definitions .....

define service{
	hostgroup_name http-servers-dept31
	service_description HTTP
	contact_groups dept31
	other service definitions .....

define service{
	hostgroup_name ftp-servers
	service_description FTP
	contact_groups dept22,dept31,netmanager
	other service definitions .....

Done like this it seems that having a contact_groups setting in hostgroups
is redundant and messy.  But I suppose I may be missing something about
how Nagios works, especially since contact_groups is a required setting.
What would be wrong with sending contact_groups to an address that
/dev/null's it for my hostgroups?  Or is there something wrong with my
thinking about setting up my services file this way?  How do others do it?
 Thanks.

Mark