Phil: "multiple interfaces"

Phil Dibowitz phil at usc.edu
Wed Aug 11 18:26:14 CEST 2004

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 09:39:54AM +0200, Michael Arndt wrote:
> Hello Phil
>
> > My question is -- what is everyone ELSE doing? I can't be the first person
> > using nagios to have multiple interfaces on my servers...
>
> > Phil Dibowitz
>

> short time ago i posted the same qustion, without a conclusive
> result.

So, after reading the responses, weighing the pros and cons, and discussing it
with some co workers, here's what we decided on:

1. Pick one IP (we are considering using hostnames in the IP field and making
all services dependent on DNS, or something to that effect)
2. Created a check_interface in checkcommands.cfg which just calls check_ping,
but takes an extra arguement, which is a single IP.
3. Create interface checks as services for each multi-interface host. So hosts
will have services like INTERFACE, INTERFACE2, INTERFACE3, etc.

And we're reasonably happy with it, it keeps the Service Detail and Service
Problems view clean. In some rare cases it may miss information like a service
being down on a single interface, but we feel the loss of accuracy is worth
the gained readability.

Just wanted to post that for the archives for anyone else who comes along with
such a question.

--
Phil Dibowitz
Systems Architect and Administrator