nsca and passive checks

Brian Andrus sysop at millenia.com
Wed Aug 11 17:03:47 CEST 2004

I am trying to set up a passive check and am having trouble with the
services.cfg and checkcommands.cfg

I found a sample services.cfg, but it seems to be for the older version of
nagios and throws errors when I run nagios -v
It seems nagios insists I have settings for max_check_attempts,
check_interval and retry_interval which does seem odd for a passive only
check.

So far in services.cfg I have:
-----------------------------------
# HTTP 500 Errors
define service{
        host_name                       rh2
        service_description             HTTP 500 Errors
        is_volatile                     1
        active_checks_enabled           0
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        max_check_attempts              1
        contact_groups                  linux-admins,411vm
        notification_interval           240
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c
        check_period                    24x7
        normal_check_interval           1
        retry_check_interval            1
        check_command                   check_none
        }
-----------------------------------
I define the check_interval to prevent warnings at startup.

in checkcommands.cfg I define check_none (not sure if this is the right way
to do this):
-----------------------------------
# 'check_none' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_none
        command_line    /bin/echo ""
        }
-----------------------------------

I am successfully sending the packet to the nagios server with:
echo -e "rh2;HTTP 500\t0\ttoo many errors test (OK)"| send_nsca -H nagios
but, I get errors in the nagios.log:
[1092235996] Warning: Unrecognized external command ->
PROCESS_HOST_CHECK_RESULT;rh2;HTTP 500;0;too many errors test (OK)

Any ideas out there?

All The Best,

Brian Andrus, president
Millenia Internet Services, Inc.