Question regarding escalation/notification

Stefan Giesen Stefan.Giesen at firstgate.de
Tue Aug 10 12:50:50 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I've got a question about the notifications if you use the
escalations.cfg.

In our setup, we need the following (all notifications should be sent if
the HARD state changes to u, c or r):
1. A single email to "monitor at mydomain.de" if any host/service changes
state to d,u,r
2. A SMS should be send out to the first administrator with the first
notification and later every minute until the host/service recovers
3. A SMS should be send out to the second administrator with the sixth
notification and later every minute until the host/sercive recovers

I've the following contacts (only relevant parts listed, notify-by-sms
is a script which takes admin1/2 as parameter and uses the correct
mobile number for the first/second admin-of-the-day):

define contact{
        contact_name                    monitor-mydomain-de
        service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
        host_notification_options       d,u,r
        service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
        email                           monitor at mydomain.de
}

define contact{
	contact_name			admin1
	service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
	host_notification_options       d,u,r
	service_notification_commands   notify-by-sms
	host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-sms
	pager				admin1
}

define contact{
	contact_name			admin2
	service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
	host_notification_options       d,u,r
	service_notification_commands   notify-by-sms
	host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-sms
	pager				admin2
}

define contactgroup{
        contactgroup_name       monitor-email
        members                 monitor-mydomain.de
}

define contactgroup{
	contactgroup_name	admin1-sms
	members			admin1
}

define contactgroup{
	contactgroup_name	admin2-sms
	members			admin2
}

example service entry:

define service{
        service_description             IMAP
        host_name                       myhost.mydomain.de
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              2
        normal_check_interval           1
        retry_check_interval            1
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_interval           1
        notification_options            u,c,r
        contact_groups                  monitor-email
        check_command                   check-imap
        }

escalations for this service (overlapping configs used):

define serviceescalation{
        host_name                       myhost.mydomain.de
        service_description             IMAP
        first_notification              1
        last_notification               1
        contact_groups                  monitor-email
        notification_interval           1
        }

define serviceescalation{
        host_name                       myhost.mydomain.de
        service_description             IMAP
        first_notification              1
        last_notification               0
        contact_groups                  admin1-sms
        notification_interval           1
        }

define serviceescalation{
        host_name                       myhost.mydomain.de
        service_description             IMAP
        first_notification              6
        last_notification               0
        contact_groups                  admin2-sms
        notification_interval           1
        }

With this configuration, I got the following behaviour:

Services changes to HARD CRITICAL: email is send, SMS to admin1 is send,
then

1. Service gets immediately back (so only one notifcation was sent):
email is send, SMS to admin1 is sent -> OK

2. Service stays down: more SMS to admin1 are send, with the 6.
notification to admin2 as well -> OK

3. Service gets back AFTER ther first notification (it doesn' matter if
after 2 oder 30): SMS to admin1 is send, SMS to admin2 is send if more
than 5 notifications were sent before (that's OK, BUT) _NO_ recovery
notification is sent via email.

How comes? Or how can I add a one-shot email notification if a service
changes state? If I change the seviceescalation for the email to
"last_notification 0", I will get more than one email, if I change it to
"notification_interval 0", according to the documentation the lowest
notification interval will be used - which is one, so only one SMS will
be send out to each admin (tested that, the notification number remains
1 even after a new failed check, so admin1 would only get one SMS and
admin2 would never got one at all).

I tried it as well with just two non-overlapping escalations (one with
admin1-sms and the second with admin1-sms,admin2-sms as contact_group
entry, the first escalation starting at notification 2; with a contact
group entry of "monitor-email,admin1-sms" in the service itself) with
the same reuslt: the recovery email will not be send out.

Can anybody tell me how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan
--
Stefan Giesen, Systemadministration Frankfurt
FIRSTGATE Internet AG, Im MediaPark 5, 50670 Koeln
Internet: www.firstgate.de         eMail: Stefan.Giesen at firstgate.de