Redundant Switches/Routers/Network Interfaces and parent configuration question

Stefan Giesen Stefan.Giesen at firstgate.de
Tue Aug 10 11:59:45 CEST 2004

Hi Garry & list

Am Di, den 03.08.2004 schrieb Cook, Garry um 16:09:
> Very similar in fact. The only problem with your picture is that it does
> not show the location of the Nagios box. Therefore, it is difficult to
> determine if your parents are setup correctly.

The nagios box is directly connected to switch1/switch2 (the master
switches) - but since nearly all traffic to all servers goes from those
master switches to the routers and then back to the master switches
(beside the nagios server only one other server uses the same vlan, so
the traffic for this server would only travel over the master switch
directly) and Nagios "parents" option can't do something like that
(switch -> router -> same switch), it's ok for me to "assume" that the
nagios box is connected directly to the routers (if the master switches
are dead, I would get two additional notifications for the routers,
that's all, so no real problem there).

> [snip]
> Are you stating that if Switch 1 were to go down, you would not receive
> notifications for service failures on Switch 3? If so, then something is
> not working correctly. Since Switch2 is a parent of Switch3, you should
> still see alerts/notifications when Switch3 has problems.
> In my experience, Nagios does NOT work as you have stated. The 'parents'
> rules work in such a way that just ONE of the parents needs to be up in
> order for Nagios to continue running checks against child
> services/hosts.

Forget it, it seems I simply had a problem with my config regarding that.
It's working as expected now.

> [snip]
Thanks for the links and explanations.

About my config with two network interfaces: I changed my config a
little bit and wrote a small check-script which is able to parse more
than one IP address as parameter and changed all other check commands to
use the hostname, not the host address (so they only check the virtual
host, in my config hostname is a fqdn as well as the host addresses
are). I know that it is not recommended to use DNS entries for hosts and
addresses, but since i'm using pdnsd on the nagios machine to cache all
used DNS entries for some time, this shouldn't get a real problem - at
least not until the "real" DNS is down for a very long time, in which
case we've got much bigger problems to worry about... ;-)
Through this change I only have one single host in the host/services
list and still got the functionality I want (a warning if one of the
interfaces is down, a critical if both are down).

Thanks for your comments,
Stefan
--
Stefan Giesen, Systemadministration Frankfurt
FIRSTGATE Internet AG, Im MediaPark 5, 50670 Koeln
Internet: www.firstgate.de         eMail: Stefan.Giesen at firstgate.de