Single notification to a contact

Byron OBrien byron at agora.rdrop.com
Mon Aug 9 19:31:53 CEST 2004

All,

I am running Nagios 1.2 on a Solaris 8 box with Perl 5.005_03.
Everything is working fine, but I have a desire to send a
single notification for a host/service alert to a given contact, while
continuing to send recurring notifications to other contacts.

The reason is that I want to automatically open a trouble ticket in our RT
implementation via the email gateway, but when multiple emails are sent
via the gateway, multiple tickets are opened for the same issue.
However, I want to send recurring notifications out to our admins
pagers, in case pages are missed for some reason.

I have tried implementing this using an escalation configuration like
the one below:

define hostgroupescalation{
        hostgroup_name                  db
        first_notification              1
        last_notification               1
        contact_groups                  noc,RT
        notification_interval           0
        }

That results in one notification being sent to the RT mail gateway (right
behavior), but only one page going out to the NOC admins (wrong behavior).

Has anyone else implemented something like this with any success?

Thanks in advance,

Byron O'Brien
byron at rdrop.com