counterintuitive behaviour of retain_state_information

Chaos Golubitsky walrus+nagios at glassonion.org
Thu Aug 5 23:53:26 CEST 2004

Hi all,

So, i spent a large amount of time tracking down a problem i was
having with Nagios configuration, and i would like some insight
into why the program behaves this way.

The problem i was having: after enabling performance data globally,
i tried to turn it off for some services, that is, to have
process_perf_data="yes" for some services, but not for others.
However, even if i set process_perf_data="no", those services still
collected performance data.

The solution: stop nagios, delete status.sav, restart nagios.

The reason: Nagios reads in its configuration file, and only after
that reads in the state file, so any variables which are set in the
state file, *including all the boolean configuration variables for
services and hosts*, are overridden by the values in the state file.

Could someone please explain to me how this is not a bug?  Is there
any way for me to keep the presumably useful last check information
stored in status.sav across restarts, without losing the ability
to reconfigure services?  Apologies for the frustration, but i have
trouble believing that i am the first person to waste 10+ hours of
heavy debugging being baffled by this behaviour, and i feel strongly
that it at least merits a warning in the configuration file next
to the retain_state_information variable.

If this is a bug, i will make an effort to report it to the proper
forum, but i wanted to check here first to see if there is some
feature-not-bug explanation for what i am seeing.

I am running Nagios version 1.2 release 1 (per nagios.spec) on
FreeBSD 4.9.

-Chaos