New to list: Newb questions

Morthland, Cam cmorthland at christenson.com
Thu Aug 5 23:12:52 CEST 2004

Hello all and thanks in advance for your patience and understanding as I
am sure these questions have been asked a thousand times (but I still
cannot find answers through hours of Googlng).

I have recently installed the framework successfully and have the config
file layouts the way I want.  I am in a mostly Windows environment
running HP/Compaq for my backend servers.

Questions:

1) What is the best way to monitor windows servers?  NSClient seems to
be buggy/leaky from what I have read.
2) Is there ANY resource/examples/list out there of what checks/commands
are available use to access MIB's/WMI's?
	- I understand check_nt can be used, I just have found nothing
on HOW or WHAT checks are available.  What other checks are out there
like USEDDISKSPACE?
	- When I try to use check_nt to check disk space (command_line
$USER1$/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 1248 -v USEDDISKSPACE -l $ARG1$ -w
$ARG2$ -c $ARG3$)  I get a "Host Refused Connection).  I am sure this is
because I do not have port 1248 available to connect on.  PROBLEM: I
have found nowhere to find out how to get these things talking.

3) For the Compaq servers, I keep getting SNMPWALK: TIMOUT errors.  Are
there any resources out there that show HOW to do it and WHAT to
monitor?

Thanks again!

Cam