monitoring private networks?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Thu Aug 5 19:49:02 CEST 2004

We have some compute clusters here that have compute nodes and
fileservers on unrouted networks.  In these clusters, if -any- one
machine goes down, it's an issue that needs to be fixed, so I'm not sure
that check_cluster{,2} are what we need.

In at least one of these compute clusters, some of the fileservers would
require two hops to access them (EG, an ssh that ssh's further).

What's the preferred way of monitoring important hosts on unrouted
networks?  check_by_ssh?  Distributed nagios servers?  NRPE?  NRPEP?
Which of these are chainable?  Which of these would require minimal
parameterization (if any)?

The parameterization issue comes up, because we have a python script
that generates nagios configs for hosts on our routed networks, by
querying a sybase database to see which hosts on our (fully routed)
network are on contract with us.  I don't want people configuring our
database via our web gateway, having to plug a lot of complicated
parameters into the web interface, if that's avoidable.

I've experimented with check_by_ssh, so far.  It seems to work fine, but
I'm thinking some net.wisdom might be useful before continuing.

Thanks for your opinions.

--
Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu>