Automatic Host Checks

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Aug 5 17:58:52 CEST 2004

________________________________

From: Tim Stoddard [mailto:testoddard at ualr.edu]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 10:16 AM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Automatic Host Checks

I have been reading through the docs and I cannot find a definitive
answer to this.  Does Nagios do a ICMP host check automatically?  Is
this something that need to put in the nagios.cfg file?  I have been
defining an ICMP "check-host-alive" command on each host.  Now I think
that Nagios is double ICMP checking all hosts.

<marc>

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/plugintheory.html

Using Plugins For Host Checks

Using plugins to check the status of hosts may be a bit more difficult
to understand. In each host definition you use the <host_check_command>
argument to specify a plugin that should be executed to check the status
of the host. <em>Host checks are not performed on a regular basis</em> -
they are executed only as needed, usually when there are problems with
one or more services that are associated with the host.

<emphasis mine ;)>

This directly ties into
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/networkreachability.html

--