Problem with "processing performance data"

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu Aug 5 15:59:31 CEST 2004

nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i am using Nagios 1.2 and i would like to use the
> "performance data processing" feature. But it seems to not
> working for me ;o(

First, make sure you have restarted Nagios after adding the config
changes. Seems obvious, but is sometimes overlooked.
Next, log in to your Nagios site as the administrative user, go to the
'Process Info' page, and at the bottom of the Process Information box,
ensure you have:

    Performance Data Being Processed? Yes

If Performance Data is not being processed, click the 'Enable
performance data' link in the 'Process Commands' box. This issue bit me
the first time I attempted to setup perfdata processing. I think I may
have turned it off via the cgi before ever enabling it in the configs.

If Performance Data is still not being added to the perfdata log files,
maybe you have not yet installed Nagios plugins that will generate
Performance Data? IIRC, the first version of plugins to support
Performance Data was 1.4.0. Your best bet to ensure that you have a
maximum number of Performance Data producing plugins is to use the
latest version from CVS.

> In nagios.cfg i use following options to activate it:       ...
>       cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/Command.cfg
>       process_performance_data=1
>       # host_perfdata_command=process-host-perfdata
>       service_perfdata_command=service-perf-data-handler       ...
>
> (what i need is only service performance data processing)
>
> In my Command.cfg i define the according command:
>       define command {
>            command_name    service-perf-data-handler
>            command_line    /bin/echo -e
> "$LASTCHECK$\t$HOSTNAME$\t$SERVICEDESC$\t$SERVICESTATE$\t$SERV
> ICEATTEMPT$\t$STATETYPE$\t$EXECUTIONTIME$\t$LATENCY$\t$OUTPUT$
> \t$PERFDATA$" /usr/local/ nagios/var/service-perfdata
>       }

Is the space in the path above really there? Or is that just a typo?
That could be the source of the problem...

> With this configuration the file
> "/usr/local/nagios/var/service-perfdata" should be created
> and some information about all the service-check resulst
> written into it (i'm using about 65 service-checks in my
> environment), but nothing is happens:
> The file "/usr/local/nagios/var/service-perfdata" is not
> created and it is no error messages or something like it in
> naigos.log or in /var/log/messages
>
> The nagios is compiled using --with-default-perfdata argument
> to the configure script.

What is the reason for using the default-perfdata method? Have you
looked at the file based method? The file based method would most likely
work well for you, as its intent is to update a file with Performance
Data. I believe that the default method would better serve users who
want to do something other than put the data in a file.

> What can be wrong here?
>
> Thanks for all your ideas

The PerfParse project uses the file based method to gather Performance
Data into files, and then export from the files to a MySQL DB. You may
want to look at the docs on http://perfparse.sf.net/docs.php for some
detailed instructions on enabling performance data (also links back to
the appropriate Nagios docs on the subject).

> Alexander Schaefer
> Jetzt neu bei WEB.DE FreeMail: http://freemail.web.de/?mc=021193

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)