Check_dns problem "output parsing exited with no address"

Mark msalists at gmx.net
Wed Aug 4 20:18:43 CEST 2004

Hi,

I get this error really frequently - a few times an hour mostly...
SERVICE ALERT: dns_66_2;DNS;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;DNS CRITICAL -
'/usr/bin/nslookup -sil' output parsing exited with no address

If I try to test the server manually I have no problems. The problem comes
and goes, sometimes it gets the error, a few minutes later it's ok again. I
don't think that it is really the DNS server's problem or the network... I
have a second IP address for the same server, that one never has this
problem...

I saw a mailing about this problem before, but nobody had replied with an
answer how to fix it or an idea what it might be...

This is my configuration:

define host{
        use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use
        host_name               dns_66_2
        alias                   dns_66_2
        address                 66.116.69.80
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      20
        notification_interval   60
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
}

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use
        hostgroup_name                  name_servers
        service_description             DNS
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  freightgate-admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_dns
}

define command{
        command_name    check_dns
        command_line    $USER1$/check_dns -H www.yahoo.com -s $HOSTADDRESS$