Phil: "multiple interfaces"

Michael Arndt M.Arndt at science-computing.de
Tue Aug 3 09:39:54 CEST 2004

Hello Phil

> My question is -- what is everyone ELSE doing? I can't be the first person
> using nagios to have multiple interfaces on my servers...

> Phil Dibowitz

short time ago i posted the same qustion, without a conclusive
result.

For the time being we declare the additional interfaces
as separate hosts and group them as hostgroup

drawback as summarized very clear in a previous answer from somebody
to your mail:

you get a clear structure in the nagios config this way,
but the ergonomy of nagios GUI is "reduced" due to overloading
( 700 hosts instead of about 150 in our case)

now we rethink, if we "wrap" all plugins, like also suggested in
a previous mail, to reduce the number of hosts in the GUI.

Reason for our first selection:

we have not unique sets of interfaces offering services, getting full
monitoring  and  "just pingable" interfaces.

hth
Micha