Monitoring Redundant path routers

Samuel Petreski petreski at ksu.edu
Mon Apr 26 19:32:39 CEST 2004

Hi,

I was looking into using Nagios for Enterprise wide monitoring and am very
impressed with all the capabilities, but ran into following question:

                                      192.168.0.1          192.168.0.2
192.168.1.21
                        --------------------                            ----
----------------192.168.1.1           --------------------
                        | Router 1     |----------------------------| Router
2     |----------------------------|  Nagios       |
                        --------------------                            ----
----------------                            --------------------
                  192.168.0.9 \
/  192.168.0.5
                                     \
/
                                      \
/
                                       \
/
                                        \
/
                                         \                                /
                                          \                             /
                                           \                          /
                                            \                       /
                                             \                    /
                                              \                 /
                            192.168.0.10\               / 192.168.0.6
                                              --------------------
                                              | Router 3     |
                                              --------------------
                                                      |  192.168.2.1
                                                      |
                                                      |  192.168.2.2
                                                -------------
                                                | Switch1|
                                                -------------

Can Nagios monitor the individual interfaces between the routers in order to
inform me when a link/interface goes down? I’m mainly interested if
monitoring Router 3, to have Router 1 and Router 2 as dependencies, but also
to know if the link between Router 1 and Router 2 goes down, because Nagios
will be able to reach Router 3 through the link between Router 2 and Router
3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if further information is
required, please feel free to let me know.

--Samuel

P.S. If this is a cross post, please let me know where I can find the
original post.