Memory size question on a single nagios process

Platt, Nicholas Nick.Platt at myflorida.com
Wed Apr 21 16:34:15 CEST 2004

Hello everyone:

I've been working on tuning our production server running Nagios which
monitors currently 1500 services and will eventually monitor 5000.  I was
able to lower the CPU spikes and keep Linux from swapping by lowering the
max_concurrent_check=325 and command_check_interval=2 based on the formula
depicted in the documentation.   We are currently monitoring the latest
check time to the earliest check time and we are find that it is an average
of 8-10 minutes which currently is not acceptable.   Any recommendations on
minimizing that time would be appreciated.

Linux System:  P4 2.8 Ghz with 768 RAM

My second question has to do with why individual Nagios check processes take
up 3172KB of memory.  That's a lot in my opinion especially if you multiple
that times the number of checks.  Is there an explanation?  Can it be
lowered?  See attachment.

Thanks