Host status never returns to UP

Kirk Hoganson khoganson at comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 11:19:04 CEST 2004

I figured this out, and decided to post the solution for those who have
had similar problems.  I have recently seen posts about similar
problems, though I don't believe they were using check_by_ssh, the
solution should be the same.

The problem is really a simple configuration problem.  Even if you are
using a check_ping check that is returning an OK result, this is not the
check that nagios uses to determine the UP/DOWN status of a host.  The
check used by nagios for each host is determined in the hosts.cfg, and
is not always the same as any command you might be using to correctly
ping the host.  By default that command is check-host-alive.  If for
example you are using check_by_ssh to ping hosts in private network, the
check-host-alive will fail and your hosts will never return to an UP
status, even if the host comes up and your ping using check_by_ssh
returns an OK.

Once you understand the problem, the solution is obvious.